Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bonus Post.

Before going to 5 pointz I had no idea that graffiti even had a place. I've heard and even seen graffiti artists' but I always thought that they were artists' on the run. What I mean is that they don't have a studio, they don't even have a canvas. They have the buildings and walls of NYC. So I never saw something like 5 pointz. I thought it was very cool to see a place that appreciated what they did. I feel like its a positive place where graffiti artists' don't have to worry about getting caught and can just focus on their art work. I thought it was very cool to see all the different types of art they had. You can see that no artist is the same they don't even have the same type of styles. Just like the artist who uses paint, graffiti artists' have their own aesthetic. 

It is also very cool that you can see the art from the train. This is a great example of public art. In the matter of the art being political its a bit different. I feel that anyone being able to see the artwork from the train makes it political. The reason why is because graffiti artists get arrested for doing their work. Then the law officials paint over the work like it  never existed. At 5 pointz they are publicizing it. Making it known that it is allowed there. I believe they are fighting the system in their own way. Something very positive. I have seen murals and seen graffiti but here u can see the workmanship because they had time to focus on it. You can see the difference from a rushed scared art piece to the calm collective style at 5 pointz. I enjoyed my visit. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Wesley - That's very interesting - it makes me think about how in a some demonstrations, like the civil rights one we discussed, early gay rights demonstrations, or the current immigrants rights ones, just being in public can be a political act -a way of saying, we are here and unafraid. Something similar might be going on here- at the same time, 5 pointz art still has a different kind of permanence than what's in a gallery or book - it's not painted over by police, but there's turnover and it doesn't always get recorded the way 'traditional' art does . . .

    ReplyDelete