Friday, April 9, 2010

Blog 4 (part 1)

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend the read-a-thon. Its the first time that I went to any student activity on campus. I have to say it was the most perfect weather to be outside and listen to poetry. Many people read stories and poems. I realized that people had many different styles. Some were serious and dramatic, while others had a sense of humor and even sexual. If Im not mistaken their was a poem someone read called "The Sexual Kitchen" he compared sex to a salad, well actually he disguised sex as a salad. It was somewhat graphic but when you sit back and imagine a salad it mad complete sense. Also I realized that people, even myself automatically assumed that poems have to rhyme. Now I know that poems are expressed differently. Someone can write a poem about anything. I heard a poem about grapes. Poems don't even have to make sense directly I noticed that just like painters, words could be abstract as well. I never sat at the courtyard in school. It was nice to just sit, relax, and listen to people read their own pieces of work or pieces of work that means something to them. I enjoyed the experience it was very refreshing. I enjoyed the read-a-thon and I would recommend it to anyone. 

1 comment:

  1. We did get lucky on the weather! I'm glad you enjoyed the readings - it's good to experience creativity works in addition to talking about them in a class like this one!

    ReplyDelete