Thursday, March 18, 2010

"Thinking about work"

I have a real close relationship with the arts. The arts have made me feel like I have some kind of freedom, even though I haven't perfected my "niche" as many have acclaimed I feel like Im getting there. Art is a way that people can express their inner most darkest secrets. Art can tell stories, solve crimes, even save lives. Sounds a little dramatic? well I can honestly say that if their is any type of expression in mankind I completely respect someone's vision. Politics on the other hand, I personally don't get involved. I find it very conniving and evil from experience. I have family who is in that field and being surrounded by that throughout my childhood I have realized now as an adult I want no part in it. But protest is something that I desperately want to be involved with. I feel like if a large amount of people feel passionate and strong about an issue, get together and not take no for an answer is completely beautiful. Standing up for your beliefs is something that we should all be part of. I personally love music and visual arts. As being a Fine arts major I want to drift off into the fashion world and make my mark there. Music to me is a cry for attention (in a good way) A singer can sing a song about being broken hearted, and if that singer puts enough emotion its like you can almost feel that broken heart. Thats a true artist, someone who can take you into their element. I haven't done any protests, but a few years ago I volunteered as a kid for the Dominican Republic Relief when they had the big hurricane. We collected food, clothing, medications, etc. That was a big awakening. I feel like the world is a seed. If we take care of it, give it what it needs, it can grow the way its meant to be. A song, a voice, a photo, even a paragraph can alter the way people see things. I would like to be more educated in where we came from. Not only civil rights, but things that many Americans went through to get to where we are today. People say that this country, even world is a bad place. But aren't we a million steps higher than before. Now more people are able to do things that was frowned upon before. I am eager to be informed. So hopefully with this class my eyes will be opened. 

1 comment:

  1. Great reflections - your post makes me think about how we mean different things by "politics" - Running for office, voting, raising money for a candidate, trying to pass a law - these can all be important, even if this kind of politics often feels corrupt and compromised. But - going to a protest, standing up for what we believe at our job and school, making art about the issues of the day - these can be political acts too.

    ReplyDelete